Tuesday 20 July 2010

Buttermilk

Making buttermilk yourself gives significant savings over buying it. A 10 oz pot costs 70p. Using this recipe I end up with 90 oz for £2.20 saving me £4.10.

You will need:

  • 10 oz pot of buttermilk
  • 4pt/2 litre bottle of whole milk (ideally non-standardised and unhomogenised)
  • 2 x 1 litre/2pt jars
Items needed for making buttermilkMethod
Pour half of the buttermilk into each jar.
Fill to an inch or two below the top with milk.
Put lid on and shake to mix.
Leave at room temperature for around 24 hours.
When it is ready, it will be thick - similar to the consistency of yoghurt.
Refrigerate and use as required.
In theory you can reserve some of your buttermilk to make the next batch but I find it doesn't work well enough to be worthwhile.

Buttermilk in jars
I use my buttermilk in baked porridge, pancakes, muffins and smoothies/ice lollies.

No comments: